A Lesson Learned  

Posted by GeocacheGeek

Got a call today from my friend Bripod regarding a recently published cache - Burning Thing GC1TFQ. Like me, he saw the publication alert and figured it was late when it came out so he'd leave it to one of the Monroe area cachers to FTF. After a few cachers gave it many hours of searching, a few reached out to him and he to me for a meet up and assist. We met at the cache and began our search. Burning Thing (a title that actually has nothing to do with the cache as far as we could tell) was quite a challenge. We spent probably an hour going over every square inch of Ground Zero. The cache is rated a 1.5 Terrain and 2.5 Difficulty. This information is not entirely accurate so it threw us off. I won't go into the finer details of why its not entirely accurate as to not spoil it for those that haven't had the pleasure of this hunt. Suffice it to say that the tools mentioned in the Description are REQUIRED and not optional, that alone should increase the difficulty to a 3 or 3.5 :)


My lesson learned on this cache was to never just trust "running your hand" over something to mean that you searched a place. I practically stared right at this one and ran my hand over it at least 3 times. I was so close and on top of it that had it been a snake I would have been bitten many many times over. Bripod made the find after doing a bit more investigation above and beyond what I had done.

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 1:23 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment