What's in your pack?  

Posted by GeocacheGeek in , ,


The question always comes up on podcast and at gatherings, What do you carry in your caching pack? My pack is a Venturi 30 day pack (pictured left). It has an external frame arced away from the back to keep a nice opening between me and the pack. This prevents the typical sweat soaking that usually comes with wearing a pack all day. It is Hydration System ready so I put a Platypus 2.0L bladder in it. I wanted a 3.0L (only $3 more) but they didnt' have any at the time :(

I like this pack because, in addition to the hydration system and other storage pockets, it has 2 front side pouches that I keep the small, commonly needed items in. (sharpies, knife, flashlight)

In the pack (or in my pockets) I carry an assortment of items:

  • GPSr (Garmin Oregon 400t)
  • iPhone (for posting Field Notes immediately as well as PAF/Emergency needs)
  • Swiss Army Knife (the tweezers come in handy for Nano Cache Log extractions)
  • Notebook (Multi-Cache Note taking)
  • Digital Camera (I document all my finds and steps of multi caches)
  • LED Flashlight
  • Spyder-Co Knife
  • Mini Fine Tip Sharpies (yes more than one)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Extra Logs for most Cache Sizes
  • Extra Ziplock Bags (sandwich and large) for cache maintenance of ripped/torn bags
  • 35mm Canister with some Evil Nano Caches (just in case a good spot presents itself)
  • Some extra 35mm canisters and 2L pre-forms ready for placing (just in case)
  • 3-4 Ponchos
  • Extra Shirt (Red to double as signal flag if necessary)
  • Leatherman Multi-Tool
  • Sunscreen
  • Deep Woods Off Bug Spray
  • Tylenol/Advil
  • Packs of Salt (I get headaches if I don't eat salt every so often when hiking)
  • Misc Snacks and Bars (in case we don't want to stop for lunch)
On long hike days I take my walking staff for poking around and knocking down spiderwebs, and of course I always have my caching hat on :)

This entry was posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 at 8:30 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment